• April 18, 2024 at 4:18 pm #235217
    Marc Henshall
    Keymaster

Hey folks. What are some of the best-sounding records in your collection? Perhaps it’s a particular pressing of a favorite album or just a record where you think the production is top-notch.

Let’s get a discussion going; it may inspire some other members to pick up their own copy or discover something new!

April 19, 2024 at 8:21 pm #235522
    Djjf572
    Participant

In jazz: So What-Miles Davis UHQR
    In prog:Crime of the century-Supertramp Audiophile series A&M
    In classical: Requiem- W.A. Mozart Dunedin Consort-John Butt
    In ambient-neo classical:Inscape-Alexandra Stréliski
    In pop:Aja-Steely Dan UHQR

April 19, 2024 at 8:34 pm #235538
    Marc Henshall
    Keymaster

Nice! I need to get my hands on some more Analogue Productions releases. The Miles Davis “Kind of Blue”, for example, I’d love to have a copy of.

April 19, 2024 at 8:48 pm #235545
    ashor
    Participant

I have a handful of Beck albums in my (relatively modest) collection and all sound amazing.
    Of particular note are “Morning Phase” and the sublime (double vinyl) “Sea Change”.
    For those not familiar with these releases, they are both a lot quieter than other Beck albums, with largely acoustic and orchestral content, accompanied by beautiful, heartachingly-personal lyrics.
    They are later pressings, flat as a pancake and utterly devoid of a single pop or crackle throughout their entire length – the quality has to be heard to be believed.
    The fact they came housed in lined paper inners has kept them that way with virtually no static.
    I suspect this quality is something Mr Hansen personally insisted upon and it’s a terrific shame that this standard isn’t replicated across the the industry.

April 19, 2024 at 8:54 pm #235547
    Djjf572
    Participant

Ashor,

Same here with Morning Phase:completely missed out that LP and when I got it the surprise was total in terms of sound..A must have for Beck but

April 19, 2024 at 8:54 pm #235548
    Djjf572
    Participant

Ashor,

Same here with Morning Phase:completely missed out that LP and when I got it the surprise was total in terms of sound..A must have for Beck but also four sound testing!

Jean-François

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Djjf572.
    April 19, 2024 at 9:33 pm #235564
    Marc Henshall
    Keymaster

Sounds Good, Ashor. Considering the quality of many reissues, it sounds like these are well-managed! Enjoy

April 21, 2024 at 11:42 am #235921
    GhosteenInTheCave21
    Participant

I don’t have many LPs in my collection yet. I have two box sets and approximately fifty albums, but my Bowie reissues sound fantastic, considering they aren’t special audiophile pressings. If I am correct, my Ziggy Stardust reissue is AAA, which probably helps matters. As for LPs released by contemporaries, I find those to be very hit-and-miss, but my VMP pressing of St Vincent’s latest project does sound superb.

April 22, 2024 at 2:08 am #235979
    beachboy1965
    Participant

Dire Straits Brother In Arms, original pressing, Daft Punk Random Access Memories, Cat Stevens Tea For The Tillerman, Teaser And The Firecat, Mona Bone Jakon all very good too!

April 22, 2024 at 10:09 am #235994
    Marc Henshall
    Keymaster

@ghosteeninthecave21 – Cool. Welcome to the hobby. The VMP stuff does tend to be well-mastered 🙂

April 22, 2024 at 10:11 am #235997
    Marc Henshall
    Keymaster

@beachboy1965 – thanks for sharing. Dire Straits is an interesting one. It was the first DDD release on CD I believe.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.