• April 22, 2024 at 6:53 pm #236028
    Shakey Young
    Participant

Hi-I have just joined the forum and thought I’d ask about stylus residue problems. Having used a Knosti manual cleaner and also a Pro-ject VC-E the results have been varied, in that despite following instructions the grooves still seem full of gunk on playback and some of this (quite a lot sometimes) ends up stuck to a rather expensive moving coil stylus – not ideal! I’ve tried different formulations and strengths of recommended fluids with very limited overall success. Am I doing something wrong with these systems? I have read lots of cleaning machine reviews and no-one so far has mentioned this issue… Any thoughts?

Thanks

April 23, 2024 at 12:02 pm #236060
    Pedro1
    Participant

Hi Shakey, I use the Knosti manual cleaner as well and experienced the same issue with gunk on my stylus. I also have tried weaker mixtures and never allow the record to dry fully before rinsing them. I would be glad of any solutions. Cheers

April 23, 2024 at 4:18 pm #236077
    Shakey Young
    Participant

Hi there – so are you saying that you rinse in clean/distilled water after using the Knosti diluted fluid to clean? Sounds like a good idea but also sounds like you still suffer from residue despite the rinsing. I’ve now disposed of my Knosti, tried the Project with similar poor results (considered Spin Clean but not tried it) and am now left with searching around for something else more suitable/reliable. It’s strange that no-one else has mentioned this problem. Frustrating as I have couple of thousand LPs, with a growing pile of second hand/dirty ones desperately awaiting clean up before listening. I have read very favourable reviews and comments on ultra-sonic cleaning and am considering the Humminguru (if I can find it at a good price in UK) as it seems to rinse and dry effectively. Any others got a view on this? We can’t be alone…

Regards

May 13, 2024 at 12:44 pm #237237
    kingsleyfox
    Participant

Hi,
    I experienced the build up of debris on my stylus when I first used my Knosti. However, through experimentation I found that the stylus debris problem was associated with the supplied Knosti cleaning solution. I have settled on a homemade solution of 5% Iso-Propyl Alcohol, 95% Demineralised water with a few drops of Ilfotol (a wetting agent made by Ilford primarily for use during film development). I find that this is an extremely effective cleaning solution, removes static and does not lead to a build up of stylus residue. I am aware of the ‘controversy’ regarding the use of alcohol and to guard against damage to my vinyl use a second Knosti bath to rinse the cleaned record (before it has dried) in demineralised water (again with a few drops of Ilfotol). I have literally cleaned thousands of records using this arrangement over the last 10 years with great results and no adverse effects. I use this approach with all second hand discs that I buy and for ones in my collection (of ~5000 albums) that haven’t been cleaned for a number of years.
    I also have an Okki Nokki cleaning machine, which I use with either L’Art du Son or Demineralised water with a few drops of Tergitol and Ilfotol. I use the Okki Nokki with new records, discs from my collection and as a finishing step after the Knosti process (if judged to be required). I do recommend the Okki Nokki, but find that it is not as effective as the Knosti for cleaning to the bottom the grooves of dirty second hand records.
    If just want to clean one mildly dirty disc, and don’t want the hassle of setting up the Knosti or getting out the Okki Knokki, I use a Groove Washer which I find effective. On a historical note, I still have the original Discwasher version – which still works well after 45 years (although my stocks of the cleaning solution are almost gone).

May 15, 2024 at 11:32 am #237319
    Pedro1
    Participant

Hi,
    Thanks for your detailed post. I have always added a few drops of dishwasher rinse aid with the iso-propyl and water so maybe the Ilfotol is better, I will certainly try it and also add it to the water when rinsing.

May 15, 2024 at 12:17 pm #237323
    Shakey Young
    Participant

hi & especially to KingsleyFox, thanks; I graduated to the same cleaning mixture as you but with a different brand of wetting agent & had continuing residue issues. However I never used a clean bath of only distilled/de-mineralised water as a final rinse, so my guess is that this helps wash out any leftover debris. I no longer have a Knosti or similar & am trying to find the most cost effective way of thorough cleaning whilst not breaking the bank! (more money for more records is my wish if at all possible).
    Still pondering over the Humminguru as it appears extremely good value but am a little concerned as it is a very young company & there is some talk on the web of (limited) reliability problems. Good job I have two turntables so less than pristine copies are relegated to a Rega P3 & not my RP10.

May 15, 2024 at 12:18 pm #237325
    Shakey Young
    Participant

hi & especially to KingsleyFox, thanks; I graduated to the same cleaning mixture as you but with a different brand of wetting agent & had continuing residue issues. However I never used a clean bath of only distilled/de-mineralised water as a final rinse, so my guess is that this helps wash out any leftover debris. I no longer have a Knosti or similar & am trying to find the most cost effective way of thorough cleaning whilst not breaking the bank! (more money for more records is my wish if at all possible).
    Still pondering over the Humminguru as it appears extremely good value but am a little concerned as it is a very young company & there is some talk on the web of (limited) reliability problems. Good job I have two turntables so less than pristine copies are relegated to a Rega P3 & not my RP10.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.